This was a perfect side dish for our Penguin Party! It was a big hit with the kids...add a toothpick parasol and you have the cutest dish!
Medium Black Olives (drained)
Tooth picks or for a little flair either Umbrella picks or with the frilly cellophane top.
Cutting Mat or board
Kitchen shears, optional
TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS
- Drain olives in colander and place on paper towel.
- Select firm even shaped olives .
- Using small knife or kitchen shears, cut up the center of an olive.
- Use 1/8 teaspoon and scoop a rounded amount of cream cheese, carefully remove from the spoon and shape with fingers if needed.
- Gently spread the olive with the cut and insert cream cheese, gently squeeze the olive around the cream cheese.
- Slice the end of a baby carrot to make a flat surface. Cut a 1/8 inch slice.
- Cut a small triangle in the carrot, to form the beak. The remaining piece of carrot will create the feet.
- Take your second olive and insert the beak into the back end of the olive. If it gets pushed in too far, use the toothpick to push it back out.
- Take your toothpick and poke it through the center of the "head" of the olive penguin.
- Place the "body" on the carrot feet.
- Poke the toothpick through the body into the carrot feet to secure.
- Use rainbow toothpicks or the frilly toothpicks for variation.
- Arrange on a platter.
Keep cream cheese chilled until ready to use.
Have a paper towel handy to wipe hands.
Using your finger gently wipe off excess cream cheese.