This recipe makes wonderful fluffy pancakes perfect for that slumber party breakfast! This recipe servers about 4-6. We freeze the left overs and heat up in the microwave during the busy week. It's perfect for slumber party breakfast!
1 1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup measure
- Combine milk and vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes to "sour".
- In large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk egg, vanilla and melted butter into "soured" milk.
- Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone. Do not over mix. Mixture will be thick and bubbly.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cups of batter into the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface.
- Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.
- Serve with butter and syrup!
You can use buttermilk in place of the "soured milk" however I found the results were fluffier with the soured milk.
Do not over mix, there will be a little bit of bubbling from the baking soda, this is what helps make them fluffy.
I have found that once my skillet heats up I sometimes have to turn down the heat or the middle doesn't cook all the way. I use cast iron.
St Patrick's Day
The girls wanted to make the pancakes green for St. Patrick's Day! We added a few drops to the mixture to achieve this color....
Then we used a Wilton Cookie Cutter to make shamrock shapes...don't worry, kids will eat the trimmed off pieces. There were no left overs! Just change the color of your mix and the cutter for other holiday shapes!