Easy to make granola bar recipe that you can adjust by adding your favorite ingredients. Bake longer for a more crunchy, chewy granola bar or less for a softer chewy bar.
2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup raisins or other items such as cranberries, chocolate chips
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt. Make a well in the middle and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla.
- Mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the greased pan.
- Back for 30-35 minutes in the oven until the edges turn golden. Cool for 5 minutes. Important, cut bars while they are still warm or they will be difficult to cut.
Tips and Suggestions
- We like Bob's Red Mill Organic Regular Rolled Oats, 32 Oz
because they give more "texture" to the bar. We found them at Walmart, Publix and Harris Teeter.
- Vary the cooking time to see if you prefer it to be softer and chewier or chewy with a bit of crunch on the edges. Depending on your oven 20-25 will make a softer bar and 30-35 a chewier bar. It will not be quite as crunchy like the Nature Valley bars from our experience.
- Try not to overcook however, if you cook it with more crunch than you want, simply crumble it to make a snacking granola or add it to your breakfast oatmeal or yogurt.
- This was the 3rd recipe that we tried. We did try two with fewer ingredients, but it was very evident when I had my family do a taste test. This was our favorite and we have made it several times now. It makes a great after school snack or snack for parties.
Variations on this Granola Bar
- Substitute raisins with dried cranberries or apple bits or other dried fruit of your choice. For a sweet bar add a few chocolate chips. Your total additions should not exceed 3/4 cup.
- Next time I'll try adding 1/4 cup peanut butter but this is best for family only with the high number of peanut allergies.