1M Tip to Make Swirl Designed Cupcakes
Here is a simple technique using the 1M tip from Wilton to design cupcakes with a pretty swirl! It just uses the 1M tip and a pastry bag to pipe this fancy iced swirl. We found our frosting tips at a craft store like Michaels, but you may be able to find it at stores like WalMart that have a party section with Wilton products. We like to use our
Buttercream Icing Recipe to make home made frosting but this technique works well with pre-made tub frosting as well. Fill a pastry bag or a freezer zip lock to hold your icing and use our tutorial to make the swirl design. Then decorate with your favorite sprinkles.
- Cut small tip off bag or ziplock. Slide 1M tip into bag and sit firmly in bag. Adjust as necessary.
- Spoon frosting into pastry bag. Push with spatula to the bottom of the bag. Fill about 3/4 of the way up. You need to have some leverage from the top of the bag to squeeze the frosting out.
- Hold pastry bag about 1/4 inch above the cupcake and start on the outer edge of your cupcake.
- Using steady pressure, work your way inwards until you reach the center, slightly overlapping layers as you go.
- Stop pressure and pull tip up and away to create a slight "point".
- Decorate with sprinkles if desired.
Tips and Suggestions
- Fold top of ziplock over when spooning in the frosting, then flip back over after. It will keep it a little neater and able to push the frosting to the bottom of the bag easier.
- The pastry bags are a little easier because it is narrow, however in a pinch the ziplock will work too.
- If you buy a set, be sure to check this one is in it if you are planning to make this swirl design! We used the Wilton brand although I have seen others. I am not certain if they are standard sizes or not.
- They have cute storage boxes for tips but if you are purchasing large size tips, check to see that your container accommodates this size. We made that error!