Apple Strudel Muffins
Chop fresh Granny Smith or your favorite apple to make these scrumptious Apple Strudel Muffins. We used a Granny Smith and a Gala for our muffins. The cinnamon crumb topping adds the finishing touch to this muffin. We liked them best slightly cooled but still warm from the oven. Be sure to read TIPS before starting!!
Download recipe here: Apple Strudel Muffin Recipe
Apple Strudel Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup chopped apples
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 12-cup muffin tin
- Large Bowl
- Pastry Cutter for the topping
- Bakers Joy or other baking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 12 cup muffin pan. We used Bakers Joy
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar and eggs until smooth.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Stir in apples, and gradually blend in the flour mixture. The mixture will be very thick and sticky!
- Fill almost to top with muffin mixture. It doesn't rise as much as other muffins.
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over tops of mixture in muffin pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow to sit 5 minutes before removing muffins from pan. Cool on a wire rack.
- I mixed the dry ingredients gently with a whisk to blend. Use room temperature butter to make it easier to beat. If you have a microwave setting to soften the butter, that works well too. I beat the butter and sugar first, then added the eggs and vanilla.
- This is the stickiest apple strudel muffin mix I have ever worked with so I just put on a couple gloves and used my hands. I was worried when I saw how thick and sticky it was and was tempted to add something but don't!! I just packed it gently into the muffin cup about 3/4th's of the way up to the top of the muffin cup.
- Be sure to use a pastry cutter or a fork to get the strudel topping crumbly. Do not melt the butter or it will be one big lump. If you over mix or use a spoon you will get a lumpy doughy like texture.
Other Favorite Apple Recipes
Our Apple Strudel muffins is just one of our favorite apple recipes. See below for more recipes.
Apple Dip with Heath
For you Heath lovers here is a simple Apple Dip Recipe
that is great for any kids party.