Apple Strudel Muffins
Apple Strudel Muffins
Chop fresh Granny Smith or your favorite apple to make this scrumptious muffin. We used a Granny Smith and a Gala for our muffins. The cinnamon crumb topping adds the finishing touch to this muffin.
Download recipe here: Apple Strudel Muffin Recipe
We liked them slightly cooled and still warm from the oven. Be sure to read TIPS before starting!!
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup chopped apples
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter
12-cup muffin tin
Pastry Cutter for the topping
Bakers Joy or other baking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 12 cup muffin pan. We used Bakers Joy
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar and eggs until smooth.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Stir in apples, and gradually blend in the flour mixture. The mixture will be very thick and sticky!
- Fill almost to top with muffin mixture. It doesn't rise as much as other muffins.
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over tops of mixture in muffin pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow to sit 5 minutes before removing muffins from pan. Cool on a wire rack.
I mixed the dry ingredients gently with a whisk to blend. Use room temperature butter to make it easier to beat. If you have a microwave setting to soften the butter, that works well too. I beat the butter and sugar first, then added the eggs and vanilla.
This is the stickiest apple strudel muffin mix I have ever worked with so I just put on a couple gloves and used my hands. I was worried when I saw how thick and sticky it was and was tempted to add something but don't!! I just packed it gently into the muffin cup almost to the top.
Be sure to use a pastry cutter to get the strudel topping crumbly. If you over mix or use a spoon you will get a lumpy doughy like texture.