Chocolate Dipped Cake Pops Make Wonderful Party Treats
Using a box cake mix and frosting, form balls, attach lollipop sticks and dip. Add sprinkles if you desire and wrap in gift bag and ribbon. Create a fun
centerpiece or send home as party favors.
1 box Cake Mix any flavor for 13 x 9 cake
3/4 can Cream Cheese Frosting (16 oz) NOT Whipped
Chocolate (White or Regular)
For Colored Cake Pops you need white chocolate and food coloring of choice
Wax paper lined cookie tray
9 x 12 baking pan
Small scoop with release (optional but easier for making even sized balls and small enough that it's not too heavy)
Small Microwave Safe Bowl or Wilton Chocolate Melter
Lollipop Sticks (WalMart or Crafts Stores carry these)
Treat bags and ribbon (WalMart or craft stores carry these)
- Bake cake as directed on the box. Cool completely.
- Cut into fourths and remove two quarters. Gently rub cake quarters over bowl to create crumbs. Large pieces simply break up with your hand. Repeat
with other half of cake.
- Add 3/4 can of the frosting to your cake crumbs. Add more only if needed. Mix well with spoon or hand.
- Use scoop to measure and roll into a ball or if you don't have a scoop, roll with hands into quarter sized balls. Place on waxed paper.
- Chill for a couple hours in the refrigerator or place in freezer for a short while to get firm.
- Use Wilton Chocolate Melter or melt chocolate in bowl. Since microwaves vary, times will vary. Heat until just melted. Chocolate should be warm not hot.
Chocolate scorches very easily and will taste burnt if heated too long. Microwave 60 seconds on 50% power, stir well, and repeat 30 seconds at 50% power until melted.
- Add a few drops of pink food coloring until you have the desired pink. Mix well.
- Dip lollipop stick into the melted chocolate and insert into cake ball a little less than half way.
- When the stick is firm and set, dip into chocolate and remove promptly. You can use a small spoon to cover areas missed but do NOT swirl pop in the chocolate or you will lose it.
- Gently tap the stick or your hand holding it and let cake pop drip the excess chocolate off. If you tap the stick too hard or too much, your cake will fall off.
Rotating the stick gently as you tap the stick will help make a smoother coating all around.
- Add sprinkles if desired and candy on top. We found by doing it with a small bowl (2 inch diameter) inside, it was easy to pinch and sprinkle and catch it in the second.
- Then while holding the lollipop stick, poke it into styrofoam block to set.
- If pops are starting to drip, place block in refrigerator to set.
TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS
This pot made this so much easier! I'd definitely recommend getting this Wilton Chocolate Melting Pot
if you enjoy dipping pretzels, strawberries and make cake pops. The metal portion or the pot will get hot so adult needs to be constantly monitoring.
Do not get any water in your melted chocolate, this will ruin it.
Do not use WHIPPED frosting. Add 3/4 of the can first. Too much will make it too hard to work with.
If you have a Walmart near you, they will probably have the best prices for lollipop sticks, treat bags, and the Chocolate Melter. Look for it in the party section.
Leave plastic covering on styrofoam if you buy a new one, it is easier to clean if you have any drips.
This takes a little practice and if you lose a few off the stick...make truffles! They taste just as good!
Customize it to your Theme
Change the sprinkle colors or if it's a holiday party you can find small egg shaped sprinkles for Easter, hearts for Valentines and so forth like
Wilton Animals and Stars Sprinkle Assortment
Find a cup, container, tin or basket with a picture of your theme on it to serve these treats. Just find some styrofoam to fit your container and stick
the pops in it.
Add a flag or cut out circles in cardstock, punch a hole and add a theme sticker on each, tie with ribbon to the stick of the lollipop.