Making candy cupcakes is a fun activity for birthday parties. It is an activity all ages can enjoy. You can make it theme related by baking your cupcakes in printed cupcake liners or decorated with theme related candy. Having a sleepover...this could be an activity and treat. We made the extra large sized cupcakes which give a lot more "space" to decorate and found pretty favor boxes to package them to take home after the birthday celebration.
Ingredients for the Candy Cupcakes
- Cupcake recipe from scratch or box cake mix
- Frosting Tub or we made our own Royal Icing.
- Assorted Candies (we went to a candy store to find a greater variety from mini gumdrops or colorful candied stars. We also went to Michael's cake decorating section for more colored candies. Check Walmart and other craft stores with a baking section for other decor.
Ideas for Decorations
Bright colored candies are very pretty on the cupcakes. Small ones work the best butyou can cut larger ones like gummies, licorice and rainbow belts. We found candy from various stores and here is a list. We also found some on Amazon below with links in case you want more ideas.
- Mini gumi bears
- Mini Gum Drops
- Gumi Worms
- Small Gummy Candies
- Red Hots
- Sixlets (come in all colors and some are shimmery colors)
- Crushed Snickers, Heath, Butterfinger, Kit Kat
- Crushed Oreos
- Crushed Graham Crackers
- Teddy Grahams
- Licorice pieces
- Rainbow belts
- M & M's