by Brie Padfield
Ever since my little man started learning to get around by himself, I've been calling him Monkey Head. So when I saw these monkey cupcakes in a magazine I just knew that I have to make them for his first birthday.
The recipe called for premade ginger snap cookies and brown mini m&m's for the eyes, but I made my own cookies and cut them in half. Blue mini M&M's were used to match my sons eyes.
The cupcakes were a huge hit with the kids and they are pretty good for you too as they are full of bananas.
* 1/2 cup shortening
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
* 1/4 cup buttermilk
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* Chocolate Frosting for Head
* Vanilla Frosting to adhere eyes
* Mini Oreos for ears
* Graham cracker for mouth (or cookie)
* M&M's (eyes)
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add the eggs, vanilla, bananas and buttermilk. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to banana mixture.
2. Fill 18 paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove to wire racks and be sure to cool completely.
4. Let cool completely before frosting and adding on decorations.
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Birthday Cakes.